Loudermilk Offers a Fresh Perspective to the Durham Unified Board

DURHAM- Local educator David Loudermilk begins the new year as a recently-elected member of Durham Unified’s Board of Trustees, excited to bring a new viewpoint to the community.

Long before moving to the North State, Loudermilk grew up in Hayward, a Bay Area city near Oakland. In 2004, he graduated high school and began studying at Chico State. Since then, he has remained in the area, living in Durham since 2010. Before steering his life toward education, Loudermilk worked as a correctional officer for the Glenn County Sheriff’s Office.

“After doing that for a couple of years,” he said, “I realized that it wasn’t my cup of tea. So, I made the transition into becoming a teacher.”

His journey toward becoming an educator and board member swiftly began, starting as a substitute teacher and observing Mrs. Anna Johnson’s class at Durham High School. After observing classes at the school, he became a student-teacher for a full year. He has since begun teaching full-time in Yuba City, while simultaneously holding a seat on the Durham Unified Board of Trustees.

During his time working at Durham High, Loudermilk was very active in the community; running the basketball program and making connections with the students, parents, and staff. He also attended a few board meetings. Through his extended involvement in the community, Loudermilk was able to stay informed on important local issues and hear how the community felt about them. One of these important issues he discussed with community members was the recent school-funding bond, Measure X.

“When I was running the basketball program at Durham a few years back,” Loudermilk added, “parents and community members would come in and ask me about it. It was something I was in favor of and I had seen firsthand some of the work that needed to be done… I know it’s affecting our schools in a very positive way and I’m happy with the work that’s being done.”

Along with noticing much-needed improvements to the district, Loudermilk had also witnessed a disconnect between the students, teachers, and administrators. With the presidential election taking place last year, he saw it as an opportunity to bring the perspective of an educator to the board of trustees and to bridge the gap between the community and the board. 

Since being sworn in on December 16th, 2020, Loudermilk has begun his work as a board member. One of his biggest focuses at the moment is overseeing the process of reopening schools in the district while ensuring the safety of the students and staff.

“I think the biggest thing going forward,” he explained, “is how to address opening our schools…I think all of us have the same goal, to get kids back five days a week, but where we are going to differ on that is the timeline…I’m extremely proud of the work that’s been done in Durham and my hope is that we can continue making some of those great decisions, keeping our students at the forefront of the decisions.”

Bringing his point of view to the board, Loudermilk is optimistic about the future of Durham schools, and he looks forward to providing an educator’s perspective to the board of trustees.