How COVID-19 Has Impacted Students at DHS

As the 2021 school year rolls in, students at Durham High School are learning to adjust to the new teaching style and refigure their lives accordingly with the COVID-19 protocol. For students like Paige Alexander, Abigail Thorpe, and Erica Chavez, all seniors at DHS, COVID-19 is not only affecting their education but their social lives as well.

Alexander reflected on how she is handling her time amidst COVID-19 commenting, “I think this experience is ultimately going to benefit me because it has allowed me to get experience in the workforce, as well as allowed me to save money for college, post-high school. School is a bit less stressful, and I have met and made connections with people, through my job, that will be useful to me in the future.”

School life has changed for students. The schedule no longer demands classes from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm five days a week. But instead, holds classes every other day, Monday through Thursday, with the off days having class online. With the hybrid learning model, A-day students attend school every Monday and Wednesday, B-day students attend in-person school every Tuesday and Thursday, and full-time distance learners use the Acellus learning program as their curriculum, with each student signing on for their Advisory class on Fridays. 

This new learning model has proven to have its benefits and its drawbacks. Many students like Thorpe have seen a drastic difference in their day-to-day routines, “I think about this difference all the time. Last year I used to go to school five days a week from eight to three. Then I would have basketball or volleyball practice afterward for two hours, and still, need to cram and get my homework done.”